Friday, June 29, 2012

Sudden changes....


Life somehow always has its curve balls. No matter how much fun you are having and no how much you’ve already been through, there is always something to create more trouble or alter the course of things. 
Today my brother and I painted the living room of his new flat. It was on old dirty ochre colour from the previous owner and we painted it a pebble stone grey. It really looks a lot neater and more impressive as a room in general.

During lunch, my brother sprung the question on me. He said my mom had burst into tears once when he asked how I was, which cascaded into her telling him that I’m gay. This was about 2 months ago. He said that was the first time he had cried since my dad had died and that he had always thought of our children playing together one day.

He seemed very accepting but at the same time not. He still sees me as his brother, but he can’t accept that me being gay wasn’t a choice that I made somewhere in my life. And even though I tried to explain, he is so stuck in his ways (as he always has been) that nothing I said got through to him. And I don’t think anything but time will change that.

To some extent I’m relieved that he knows, I expected him to react a lot worse. There were so many things that I could have brought up about our past that would have made him think things over. I had to restrain myself though. I wasn’t ready for an argument or for putting up walls, so I just let things be.

With that anti-climax to my holiday, the climax of my holiday was also reached a couple hours later. My brother booked for us to see ‘Wicked’ at the Apollo theatre in London. It was truly and amazing show. The set design, the vocals, the music, the set design and the acting were all awesome. The leads did however hit high notes that were extremely piercing.



All in all its been a pretty good holiday. Just one thing missing….

1 comment:

  1. Really beautifully written. I blog too, on a hundred different topics and sometimes when I bare my soul it can be so breathtakingly good or heartbreakingly bad. I loved this particular one .... I have raised my kids always teaching them that when you look at someone in life, concentrate on who they are. Nothing else matters..... Karin

    ReplyDelete